Wednesday 20 March 2013

Bob 3 Training "I am no chicken just a mad cyclist"

Further to the email which I sent Alasdair and Andrew at the end of January  which read …
Dear Both -
Question) What do you do when you can't get on your bike due to the bad weather?
Answer) Plan a circular trip which can be used in preparation for your next touring trip.

At 35.7 miles in length I thought I would share this one with you.
At it's highest it's 1159ft above sea level, at it's worst you climb 700ft in approx 3 miles and at it's best you descend 959 feet in 4 miles? 
I think I will travel light the first time, carry as little as possible and check the weather forecast before I set off to ensue the wind is on my back?
I think it may also be wise to ensure I have got my cycling legs back and carry my inhaler just in case ;-)

I think this e-mail will require a further one containing some photographic evidence of my journey which I will undertake some time in late February or early to mid March. Provided I don't chicken out first of course! “

I woke up on the 20th March having had little sleep as I was a little anxious and excited about my planned journey. If the planning in respect of the route had been done in January then any routine maintenance on the bike had been done the night before. I had washed the bike, tightened the spokes on the front wheel and lubricated the chain. With a little play on the front fork I made a decision to tighten this en-route when I visited my Father at the start of my trip.



The day started cold, there was snow in the air and the wind chill factor was to say the least very obvious.

After weighing my back panniers yet again I made a decision not to take my rack pack this time. Weight for this journey totalled 10.2Kg

The journey for me today did not start from when I left home but from when I started travelling down roads on my bike which I had not cycled previously. It’s from this point I started taking my pictures.

I left home, visited my Father before continuing my journey down Goldacre Lane and then down Old Nab Lane to York. Then down the “dreaded hill” to Whalley (see the previous post with pictures). At Whalley I followed a shortcut along the viaduct to get onto  Mitton Road (B6246). On Mitton Rd I kept on this road until I arrived at Great Mitton, then at the Hurst Green junction I turned right and followed the road until I arrived at the sign below …


At this point my stats showed as follows …
Distance Travelled 11miles
Average 10.9
Max 33.3
The time was 10:27



My next planned stop would be The Red Pump Inn at Bashall Eaves


 

At Cow Ark I turned right ..


I needed to go to Newton but I went via Whitwell as this route followed the river :-)


Unfortunately I cycled straight passed the Inn at Whitewell and only realised when I hit Dunsop Bridge. Please note the sign, it’s only 15miles to Lancaster from here and what a 15 mile journey that would be through the Trough of Bowland?




Photos above approaching Newton.


My view at lunch time.




Hills, hills and more bloody hills !



I conquered Waddington Fell and put my hand prints in the snow on the top !!




The hill right in the distance (just about visible) between the handle bars and the saddle is Pendle. See the previous post with a photograph looking at Waddington Fell this time I am looking back at Pendle!



From this point it was down hill all the way literally, right into Waddington, then Clitheroe, up the hill out of Clitheroe to Pendleton then onto Wiswell and then home.



Stats for the complete journey are as follows ...

Distance .. my computer advised  38.36 miles.
(I had deviated a little from the original route I had planned)

Max height : 1159ft
Min height :  142ft

Max speed :   36mph
Average :      10.0

Time 3hr 47min 



(I did start the journey from home at 09:00 and returned home at 15:00. Cycling time therefore does not include a stop for routine maintenance (front fork) and a brew, taking photos, lunch and regular map stops (ensuring I didn’t get lost)).







No comments:

Post a Comment