Saturday 1 June 2013

Bob 12 Training “A fully loaded micro adventure”

With the trip growing ever closer I felt it was time to re-acquaint myself with camping.
I therefore planned a one night camping trip carrying approx 24kgs along my normal training route, spend the night in my tent before doing the reverse of the journey back home.

With a good weather forecast what better time to do this than the last Bank Holiday in May, start late Sunday and return home for Monday lunch.

A breakdown of the weight I carried …

Karrimor Kalahari 60Ltr Pannier 1
4.0kgs
Karrimor Kalahari 60Ltr Pannier 2
4.0kgs


Bar Bag (Karrimor Kalahari)
2.5kgs
Rack Pack (Karrimor Kalahari)
2.3kgs


Low rider front Avenir pannier 1 (Tools Waterproofs)
4.4kgs
Low rider front Avenir pannier 2 (Kitchen)
4.0kgs


Dry Bag 1 "Highlander" UPVC (contains Vango Tempest 200)
3.2kgs

Note the photos at the start and guess my early Fathers day present
(A little extra weight but worth it’s weight in gold?) …



One of the highlights of the outward journey on this lovely sunny Saturday afternoon was meeting four young ladies from Liverpool. Unfortunately for them they had an hour to ascend and descend Pendle hill in order to meet their friends and team leader in Barley, the four of them appeared to have got lost navigating from Downham to Worston?



I did cook my own tea .. three bacon teacakes. The evening turned a little chilly but I will have to get used to it.


Whilst sleeping under canvas is not all it’s made out to be. I did not have to bad a night (I have had worse) a pheasant woke me at approx 5:30 flapping it’s wings! 
Unfortunately for me putting two sleeping mats together (one on the top of the other) did not work as planned, one just kept slipping of the other!
Fortunately the following day was bright and not so cold, I had finished my breakfast by 07:30 and by 08:00 I was back on the road. As can be seen from the photograph below and the long shadows in the morning, whilst I did try taking some photographs of the lovely views on this lovely clear day it was not untill I got home that I realised the camera must have been set wrong! Much too much light?

Whalley - > Wiswell > Pendleton -> Worston ->Downham ->  Chatburn -> West Bradford ->  Waddington -> Bashall Barn ->    Gt Mitton ->  Whalley -> York ->
   ---------------- à  Mum and Dads for the night in the tent  -----------à
-> York -> Whalley -> Gt Mitton -> Bashall Barn -> Waddington -> West Bradford -> Chatburn -> Downham ->Worston -> Pendleton -> Wiswell -> Whalley ->Home

Miles Travelled :        55.5   
Weight carried :         24.5 Kgs
Max speed :               26.8 mph
Average :                   9.3 mph
           
Time 5hr 50min

Did you guess my early Fathers day present?
I think the third photo does give it away? Its a ....

Pletscher Twin Leg 320 mm Kickstand & Twin Leg Centre Propstand

1 comment:

  1. Nothing quite like bacon butties to help you face the world! Glad you survived in your tent in the wilds - although I think the fields on Skye will have fewer fences around you to keep out the breeze. (Depending on the sleeping mats you are using, we have found that using dome-topped ground pegs through reinforced holes will stop them slipping off.)
    Just a bit worried about that twin-leg kickstand; next thing you'll be wanting a 125cc motor! :-)

    ReplyDelete