Tuesday 2 April 2013

Bob 5 Training “Cromwells Bridge”.

A late start to the journey on Easter Sunday (14:30) due to a clean and a service of the bike …

It was a sunny afternoon and at arriving at Great Mitton and after taking the photo below I found myself removing one of my four layers, my intended destination today was Ribchester.


Great Mitton
I followed the road to Hurst Green and stumbled upon Cromwells Bridge

Cromwells Bridge
Page 111, Harold Briercliffe “Cycling Touring Guides” “At Lower Hodder there are two bridges,the oldest one (dated 1512) being narrow and covered with ivy. Over this bridge passed Cromwell in 1648, when on his way to the Battle of Preston in which he defeated the Royalists.”

After stepping foot on Cromwells bridge I followed the road to Hurst Green.





After a short stop to take the above photo I continued in the direction of Longridge / Ribchester.

One of the highlights of this trip was being passed by four fellow tour cyclists.
On leaving Hurst Green a Cannondale tandem over took me. The bike was being ridden by an elderly couple clad in lycra and with Altura jackets and Altura Panniers.
After a brief conversation I discovered they had been to Yorkshire, the Malham area for the Easter weekend. Before I had time to enquire further about their destination another tandem appeared and they sped off, I could not keep up !! Lite bags and four feet on the pedals, credit card tour cyclists ;-)

At least I was able to get confirmation of the direction I ought to be taking down Gallows lane towards Ribchester at the bottom of this lane you will find the junction below.



With time slowly running out on me I was so close but so far away this time, I turned left and headed home.


Lost in Lango, it turns out I was only about 3 miles away for York at this point.
Unfortunately it was up hill all the way !!



Stats for the complete journey are as follows ...
Distance .. my computer advised  22 miles.
Max height : 771ft
Min height :  96ft

Max speed :   31.2 mph
Average :      10.7

Time 2hr 04min   

Weight (to be confirmed) 8.2 kg

No comments:

Post a Comment