Sunday 21 April 2013

The Tortoise and the Hare

The Tortoise and the Hare.

The journey today did not start from when Gary and myself left Town Gate in Great Harwood at 08:05. Today’s journey really began when we crossed over into Preston and started riding on the lovely flat cycle paths. You could that this area was a better class but then we both inhaled somebody else’s fix (not nicotine) as we enjoyed the view from the Penwortham bridge, we both smiled and laughed. What had started out as simple journey ended up being one big adventure. Me the tortoise and Gary the hare. Gary got us both lost which in itself became a humbling experience as we cycled through the crematorium grounds in Preston. Saccary Lane ended up becoming Scary lane as I asked a bearded man coming down the hill with a pint of milk in his hand and a rucksack on his back if he had seen a cyclist, his response was to advise I am a snail too (I must add at this point I was not riding but pushing my bike up the hill). One thing you can credit Gary with was his reaction speed he missed falling down a pot hall which was the size of the Grand Canyon, I am just grateful that he was in front. We did eventually find our way home and parted company at the Spice Lounge. Overall what an experience reminded me of a younger me driving a little yellow van, a new friend found what a day.

I now feel the journey to the sea is now just a journey to far. You win Mr T.

A few stats on the journey 47miles, 9.4avg, 38.9max.
No maps (we got lost).

A few of my pictures taken at the Penwortham bridge to be added to the gallery.


1 comment:

  1. Young Robert, you need to think laterally! Rivers travel to the sea; Canals generally don't! You and Gary are clearly on the Bridge over the Ribble, which we know runs into the sea. You won? Ha-ha!

    ReplyDelete