Monday 1 April 2013

Al Training ride 30 March 2013


Well it was back to the cycling last week after a couple of weeks off training and taking part in an archery competition (I won in my style :0)) If interested Results

I got out on the bike two mornings (before work) in a row this week and put in 9 miles the first morning and 10 the second. These are just around the local area so that I can be back in time to have a shower and start work.
Bigger - Balerno

On Saturday the 30th March I decided to do the Bigger to Balerno run. This was a cycle Bobby and I had done on a freezing cold day, 27th October, last year. It was normally 24 miles following the normal route but I decided I would take a few wee detours to clock up a few extra miles.
Magic fuel













I also wanted to try out my latest energy kick trick. Wine Gums! Yup I just can’t go to long without a wee snifter ;0) I decided to only put a few in my jacket pocket as I knew if they were easy to get at I would just munch the whole packet.


The snow was falling at home and the temp was just below zero but the forecast had said it would improve through the day.
My wife ran me to Bigger in the car for 13:30 and I re assembled the bike with the snow still falling and the temp at about 1DegC. I set off and soon discovered that snow grains hitting you at 30 mph hurt (good excuse to slow down eh ;0)). I stopped to try and get a picture of the snow grains but they did not show up in the image.

Carnwath




I quickly detoured off the familiar route and went through Libberton and on to Carnwath where there was a lovley wee garden at the enterance of the town. I stopped to have a slurp and to try and warm my painful fingers up. The cold headwind seemed to be just passing straight through my gloves and freezing my fingers to the bone. After 10 mins and a quick text home to say I was ok I set off again.
A welcome stop


Wine Gum No1 taken.





Another budding cyclist cut down in his prime.


Once through Carnwath I was soon back on the normal route. I one point I thought to myself just how empty the moor is. It was then that I heard the howl of the wolf (or was it the wind) and found the evidence of what happens if you stop for to long.


View of some Windmills









The Water Works

I stopped at the same place Bobby and I had stopped at for a bite to eat and a cup of hot chocolate. This time though there was snow and a lazy wind that just cut straight through you. I had to sit round the downwind side to try and warm up a bit. Thankfully the sun started shining and the hot chocolate started to warm my fingers up. Round where Bobby and I had sat last time there was a water leak spraying water across the snow. Sods law eh… a water leak at a water treatment building.

That was a steep hill, Honest



Once I had warmed up a wee bit I set off again and with the sun on mu back I managed another 5 miles before my frozen fingers made me stop. I stopped and warmed up in the sun. This time there was no wind as I was down in a dip. I also blew into my gloves to warn them up and this really helped as I did not need to stop again for frozen fingers.

Wine Gums 2 and 3. (well it was a steep hill)


I carried on to my favourite reservoir (Harperrig) and stopped to take some pictures as the sun was now out and the snow on the hills looked wonderful.
Wonderful eh!



Wine Gum No4. (the view was breath-taking an I felt I needed to toast it somehow)


Off again and on the home stretch. I decided to add a few extra miles and went round the Rig before getting home, this added about 4 extra miles and helped me to my 30 mile total. Finally home at 5pm. The actual cycling time was 2hrs 45mins so I must have had 45 mins on my break, pictures and frozen finger stops.

Stats
Total Distance: 30 Miles
Average Speed: 11mph
Max Speed: 23mph
Cycle Time: 2hrs 45mins
Extra Weight carried: 15Kg





Wine Gum outcome: Yum Yum. Yep they seem to help.


UPDATE: Just managed to buy stove like Bobbies for £35. At least I hope it’s the same… :0)
Trangia 27-2UL


Well that's it for now. Will try and get out again next week.

AL


No comments:

Post a Comment