Tuesday 7 May 2013

Al Training 04- May 2013


Well Another weekend has arrived. Saturday morning came and I decided I would peddle my way out to the Archery course the cub have. Worked out it was about a 30 mile round trip.
After a hearty breakfast of Porridge and fruit I set off… Well actually I didn’t as I found I had a puncture, the first of the year, I think I have done pretty well not to have had more.
Spent 15mins replacing the inner tube and pumping it up with the tools on the bike and set off for the archery wood.
Again I was aiming for something I can see in the distance, although I have driven the route many times.


Can you tell where I am going?

Zoomed in to the mast in the distance



The weather was very sunny and very windy and surprisingly cold. The forecast showed a 24mph head wind which was really tiring.
NOTE: I think if we have strong winds on Skye we will have to adjust our cycle timings for each day, as I think it will take us much longer if we have a strong head wind.
The route effectively took me right across the valley that runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow (not along it that is too far for today ;0)) and up the other side


Start if the next climb

Getting closer to the mast


Once over the M8 (link between Edinburgh and Glasgow) I started to climb the other side. It was steeper than I remember in the car…. Odd that ;0)

Once over the tops I could enjoy a few down hills to the archery wood (remembering I would have to cycle back up them later)


Steeeeep!! (Great downhill)
Once I made it to the wood I made myself right at home. This is as close as I am getting to practicing my Archery this year. Not so good really :0(


Ahhh a chair. Bliss.

Which way now
 Here are a few shots from around the camp
Practice 20yards

The cabin and camp


60 Yard practice through the trees

Here we go to Target 1

Down to the old Quary






























Well I stopped for 15 mins or so and decided that I was getting cold in the shade of the trees and started on the homeward leg.
Once up that first hill there are some great views along the valley to Edinburgh in the distance.


Steeeep (not so good up hill)

View to Edinburgh


The cycle home was much quicker with the wind behind me even though a larger portion of it was up hill.
Near to home I noticed a few of the local inhabitants that merited a few shots for the Blog. Aren’t they fluffy highland coo’s :0). Honest no relation to me at all... To much hair.





Ok now for the stats
Total Distance:   29Miles
Average Speed:  11mph
Max Speed:         32.6mph (down that steep hill :0))
Total pedal time: 2hrs 36mins
Total trip time: 3hrs 10mins (to many stops for pictures)
Wine Gun count: 3 (yep read it and weep, only 3)

It really was a windy day you know….
Well back to the 10 miles each morning till next weekend.

AL


No comments:

Post a Comment