Wednesday 1 May 2013

Bob 8 Training “The training ride that never happened”

Saturday the 27th April was a beautiful day. I did my usual Saturday chores as normal and after doing the weekly shop early afternoon I decided I would attempt to go out on both Saturday as well as Sunday. After leaving home and after approx 200 yards one of my gear wires decided it had had enough (see picture).

Can you see it yet?
Not wishing to give up I decided to cycle to the other side of Great Harwood (to my parents) and then attempt to fix my broken jag wire with the tools I had in my pannier (see picture). Unfortunately I failed here as I needed to borrow a pair of decent pliers from my Father (note to self ... You need to carry your leatherman, replace your spare gear wire and go completely through your tool kit prior to any further long trips). :-)



Note that during the week I had repaired my outer cover of my saddle and replaced a badly worn sprung seat post curtsey of one good e-bay seller (when I made him aware of the Skye high cycle he ensured it was despatched promptly first class Thank you  “afclewis”).


After running out of time on Saturday I did eventually do a 20mile run on my repaired bike on Sunday morning.

Journey details ..
Home -> Wiswell > Pendleton -> Clitheroe -> Barrow -> Whalley -> York -> Home

Karrimor Handle bar bag 2.5kg
The top dry bag contains my tent: Vango Tempest 200                              3kg
(Transporting the tent in this fashion should ensure that it’s the first thing off the bike and the last thing on it).
The Karrimor Rack Pack below contains will contain two sleeping mats (lesson learnt from last year, total thickness both matts equals 2inches approx) and a tent carpet, picnic rug for added insulation.              3kg
Avenir Pannier (left)  contains my kitchen.                                                  5kg
Avenir Pannier (right)  contains my tools and waterproofs.                          4kg

Total weight this journey 17.5kg.

Stats for the journey are as follows ...

Distance .. my computer advised  20miles.

Max speed :   29.6 mph
Average :      9.2

Time 2hr 09min   
  


No comments:

Post a Comment