Saturday 18 May 2013

AL Training ride 11 May 2013


Saturday the 11th May
Well today was meant to be a 40% chance of rain and what do is find… Yep 100% chance of getting soaked if I step out of the door and only 4 Deg C to boot so it’s cold.
After a wee bit of thought over my porridge I decide that this is a good opportunity to test the cycle ware I have to see if it still works.

A wee bit worried about the cold on my legs I decide to wear an old pair of waterproof trousers.
I decide to try and do 20 miles out along the Lan Whang and then back. This is the road Bobby and I did from Bigger to Home.
Here is a wee bit of info from Wikipedia

The road is known colloquially as the "Lang Whang", A whang in the Scots tongue being a narrow strip of leather, usually a long leather bootlace. Much of the road is over elevated, desolate moorland; it ascends several times on its course to heights over 1000 feet above sea level. Because the wind enjoys an easy and uninterrupted passage over its length, in winter the road is frequently closed by snow, even by modest snowfalls. The road passes elevated farmland and grouse moor and presents extensive views over central Scotland to the north.
Sounds appealing eh?
More info HERE Like the bit about the UFO’s… Ah that was some night ;0)


Well I suited up and loaded the training weights on the bike.
I took the Camera but did not think I would be taking to many pictures as I don’t think the camera is meant for underwater shots ;0)
As I left the village I was quickly aware that not only was it very wet and cold but there was a bit of a gale blowing from the west…. Yep you guessed it I was heading west.. Bummer :0(


Rain over the hills


The rain was fairly constant and the wind just got stronger as I ventured out over the moors.
The first 6 miles is part of one of my week day cycles (which are up to 12 miles a day now) and passes through a farm, AinVile, where 4 shire (I think) horses live. Its always nice to say hello to them as I pass up the hill through the Farm.


Wait till you see next weeks picture of this horse




I kept plugging away and once passed the reservoir it had a bit of downhill and managed a whole 20 mph by keeping the leg muscles pumping, I would normally expect a freewheel of 20mph down this hill….

More and More rain

There is a big hill behind those low clouds














The wind was wicked and the rain just kept coming, I was starting to realise that I had not waterproofed my feet and they were beginning to feel numb after about 10 miles. Then I realised my fingers were tingling and that it was not a nice tingle. I had not stopped peddling at all, even on the down hills.
I got to 15 miles and decided I would find a place to stop, have my hot chocolate and head home with my blocks of ice for hands and feet.
At 16 miles I found a side road and a bank of trees where I would be out of the wind and rain for a while.
The Hot chocolate warmed me up inside. I decided to see how I had been doing on the old cycle computer… It did not make to good reading. 16 miles at an average speed 8.5 mph and it had taken me 2 hrs 10 mins (few pics taken).
I packed up my stuff and put on the extra water and wind proof jacket I had. It is very light and packs away to nothing.
Well the trip home was with the wind (still cold and raining though). On the downhill through the AinVile farm I got 33mph without peddling, just the wind blowing at my back.
I was home in 1hr 10mins (that’s an average if 14mph). My feet were sore and I had almost lost the ability to change the gears with my thumbs.
The waterproof trousers had worked but they were so baggy the wind had a great fun with them blowing round my legs.
The wee pack mack jacket had kept me warm on the way back.
But I needed to invest in something for my hands and some proper cycle waterproof trousers.

The warm shower was so nice (apart for my feet which hurt for a while in the warm water)

Stats for the trip
Distance: 32miles
Peddle Time: 3hrs 3mins
Average Speed: 10.5
Max Speed: 33.2mph (without peddeling too ;0))
Weight: 18Kg
Wine Gum count: 0……. I had the zip on my jacket closed so could not fish them out while moving.
Was I tired: You bet!

Next day the Bike got a good lubrication job.

No comments:

Post a Comment